firnoun [ C ]uk /ˈfɜːr/ us /ˈfɝː/ also fir tree
Examples from literature
- Left to themselves, the firs are soon displaced by the beech.
- The forests are immense, mostly of firs and birch, which being thickly set grow small.
- The pines and firs which surround it add a great charm to the outlook, and the cool mountain breeze is charged with very pleasing odors.
- The wood of the West coast abound with tall fir trees.
- This was the winter after our first memorable venture in selling Christmas trees in the city, when we had left the two large firs that we could not sell on the steps of two churches.