fire enginenoun [ C ]uk /ˈfaɪər ˌen.dʒɪn/ us /ˈfaɪr ˌen.dʒɪn/ US also fire truck
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
Examples from literature
- All the buildings, from the dwelling-house to the corn stores and the shed for the fire engine were solidly built, had iron roofs, and were painted at the right time.
- And before he could speak, with a clang and a whistle and a toot and a great deal of noise and excitement, up came the fire engines to put the fire out.
- Down the street came the fire engines.
- From the rear of the hotel came the crackling of flames and down in the street the fire engines were pounding away, sending their streams of water into the structure.
- Then the coming of the fire engines, and the approach of a police automobile diverted the attention of the on-lookers.