fire hydrantnoun [ C ]uk /ˈfaɪə ˌhaɪ.drənt/ us /ˈfaɪr ˌhaɪ.drənt/ US also fire plug
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- He gets to the fire hydrant first and sits there panting until the Firemen come up to attach the hose and turn on the water.
- More than eighteen miles of service pipe are now in use, and there are over two hundred fire hydrants at various points.
- The shops and yards are equipped throughout with fire hydrants and fire plugs, hose and fire extinguishers.
- There's a fire hydrant there.
- Wet down decks! and the washers sprang for the coils of hose attached to the fire hydrants.