firefighternoun [ C ]uk /ˈfaɪəˌfaɪ.tər/ us /ˈfaɪrˌfaɪ.t̬ɚ/
- Some people think that 'fireman' is a sexist term, and prefer the politically correct term 'firefighter'.
- Several of the firefighters received commendation for their bravery.
- It took the firefighters several hours to extinguish the flames.
- High winds have hindered firefighters in their efforts to put out the blaze.
- Two firefighters were treated for smoke inhalation.
- A firefighter heard his mother say that her son loved superheroes.
- Call the firefighters!
- Firefighters can be burned in fires or have to clean up dangerous chemicals after an accident.
- It is dangerous work, but we pay firefighters to do this job – to fight fire.