fisticuffsnoun [ plural ]uk /ˈfɪs.ti.kʌfs/ us /ˈfɪs.ti.kʌfs/ old-fashioned or humorous
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- A dispute arising on this point, the two noble generals came to fisticuffs, and in the fracas our brave commander got his remaining well eye badly damaged.
- It is as though they were on the point of breaking into fisticuffs.
- Let fisticuffs settle it!
- The situation was growing strained, and might well culminate in fisticuffs.
- Tom would have been glad to challenge him to a bout at fisticuffs, for he was confident he could vanquish him in short order.