flamingonoun [ C ]uk /fləˈmɪŋ.ɡəʊ/ us /fləˈmɪŋ.ɡoʊ/ plural flamingos or flamingoes
Examples from literature
- Beautiful flamingoes hovered about the bank and many birds of brilliant plumage darted from tree to tree.
- By the banks of lakes and rivers are to be seen thousands of cranes, pelicans and flamingoes.
- The beautiful flamingo is a bird of feeble intellect, delicate appetite, and genteel tastes.
- The neck of the flamingo is white, and its wings of rich and beautiful crimson.
- To it was attached, by a golden chain and pin, a curious scarlet feather, which was supposed to be that of a flamingo.