fleur-de-lisnoun [ C ]plural fleurs-de-lis uk /ˌflɜː.dəˈliːs/ us /ˌflɝː-/ also fleur-de-lys uk /ˌflɜː.dəˈliːs/ us /ˌflɝː.dəˈliːs/
Examples from literature
- It was a gold brooch in the shape of a fleur-de-lis.
- Some pieces marked with the fleur-de-lis, and probably remnants of this set, are to be found in French museums.
- The use of the fleur-de-lis is not of French origin.
- They open by a hinge, and are enamelled with the rose, fleur-de-lis, and harp.
- Why was the fleur-de-lis placed on the shield supplied to the statue?