flotillanoun [ C ]uk /fləˈtɪl.ə/ us /fləˈtɪl.ə/
Examples from literature
- At one time quite a flotilla of boats lay around us, looking very pretty with all their flags flying.
- Here, a flotilla of canoes lay concealed where he had been hunting wild-fowl but a few hours before.
- In this engagement, the best schooner belonging to the American flotilla was burnt, and a gondola was sunk.
- One night we had lain with our flotilla on the Virginia coast.
- When the races were over, the yachts were towed back to the city by a large steamer, escorted by a whole flotilla of every kind of craft loaded with sightseers.