fog banknoun [ C usually singular ]uk /ˈfɒɡ ˌbæŋk/ us /ˈfɑːɡ ˌbæŋk/
Examples from literature
- But it was a losing race, for ten minutes later Steve saw that the fog bank was rolling down upon them and from somewhere to the eastward came the dismal hoot of a steamer feeling her way along.
- Fog banks in that section are unheard of at nine o'clock in the morning at this season, and we were more than a hundred miles from land, and what could fog and sand be doing there.
- The fog bank had scattered, and appeared now to be in a dozen smaller masses, floating off in the direction of Mobile Point.
- The wind was fresh from the south-west, which rolled up the fog banks, and then rolled them away.
- To the north and north-east the fog banks hung low on the sea.