That was a rather foolish thing to do.
It was foolish of them to pay so much.
- I felt very foolish standing there with only one shoe on.
- You were very foolish to go out in a boat in weather like this.
- It would be foolish to give up your job when you haven't got any other source of income.
- I was foolish to buy such an expensive piece of equipment without checking that we really needed it.
- He made a foolish bet with his brother and now he has to pay up.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
adverb uk /ˈfuː.lɪʃ.li/ us /ˈfuː.lɪʃ.li/
noun [ U ] uk /ˈfuː.lɪʃ.nəs/ us /ˈfuː.lɪʃ.nəs/