fortressnoun [ C ]uk /ˈfɔː.trəs/ us /ˈfɔːr.trəs/
Examples from literature
- Around the fortress are seven circular mounds, which at first suggest the idea of being the work of mound-builders.
- Have we destroyed the fleets of our enemies, fired their towns, and laid their fortresses in ruins?
- The fortress is separated from the town by a small bay, across which a wooden bridge has been built.
- The sultan immediately dispatched an army of two hundred thousand men to the relief of his beleaguered fortress.
- Yet at this moment the great fortress and arsenal lay at their mercy.