foxhoundnoun [ C ]uk /ˈfɒks.haʊnd/ us /ˈfɑːks.haʊnd/
Examples from literature
- His right hand is as delicate an organ as a foxhound's nose.
- Off in the woods a mile away sounded the deep, mellow tones of two foxhounds.
- Six foxhounds burst out at once upon the little heath, with a cry resembling the noise of a triumph.
- The baying of hounds, as if in 'full cry,' sounded closer and closer, and suddenly, out of the shadow of some trees, a number of foxhounds, running at full speed, appeared in the clear light of the moon.
- When we descended I followed Holmes into the stable yard, where he opened the door of a loose-box and led out a squat, lop-eared, white-and-tan dog, something between a beagle and a foxhound.