franchise noun (BUSINESS)
a fast-food franchise
a franchise holder
- The Commission felt the company were overbidding and gave the franchise to their competitors instead.
- The company expanded rapidly during the 1980s by means of franchises.
- Each store is owned by an individual who pays a fee for the franchise.
- The franchise has proved to be extremely lucrative.
- He lost the franchise after failing to meet the specified standards.
franchise noun (VOTE)
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
franchiseverb [ T ]uk /ˈfræn.tʃaɪz/ us /ˈfræn.tʃaɪz/
› to give or sell a franchise to someone
noun [ U ] uk /ˈfræn.tʃaɪ.zɪŋ/ us /ˈfræn.tʃaɪ.zɪŋ/