freedmannoun [ C ]/ˈfriːd.mæn/ /ˈfriːd.mæn/ plural freedmen /-men/
Examples from literature
- But his ignorance of all civil and religious precedent was only equalled by the incapacity of his freedmen and friends.
- Sooner than that, we'll put the ballot into the hands of the freedmen.
- The clients and freedmen and male slaves were almost all in the fields.
- The slaves and freedmen were still on the landing, gazing blankly after their escaped prey.
- The third section of the bill authorizes a general and unlimited grant of support to the destitute and suffering refugees and freedmen, their wives and children.