gear noun (ENGINE PART)
- Push the clutch in, put the car into gear, rev the engine and then gently let the clutch out.
- To go backwards, you must put the car into reverse gear.
- The car's gears aren't meshing properly.
- In cars that are automatics, you don't have to bother with shifting gears.
- It's no good - these gears are shot.
gear noun (CLOTHES/EQUIPMENT)
- Police in riot gear were called in to quell the unrest.
- Everyone else was in jeans and casual gear and I had my office clothes on - I stuck out like a sore thumb.
- We got ourselves togged up in walking gear for the hike.
- A shop selling bondage gear has opened on the high street.
- Police in riot gear lined up at the end of the street.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words