governverbuk /ˈɡʌv.ən/ us /-ɚn/
govern verb (RULE)
- We are governed, in Lord Hailsham's famous phrase, by an 'elective dictatorship'.
- The country's being governed by a bunch of incompetents.
- He was chosen to govern the colony by the British government.
- He has been governing the country since taking power in a military coup.
- Another defeat in parliament would seriously weaken the president's ability to govern.
govern verb (INFLUENCE)
- balance of power
- have sb eating out of your hand idiom
- have sb in the palm of your hand idiom
- have sth in hand idiom
- hold sway idiom
- pull rank idiom
- pull the strings idiom