habit noun (REPEATED ACTION)
I was taught to drive by my boyfriend and I'm afraid I've picked up (= caught) some of his bad habits.
I'm trying to get him to break (= end intentionally) the habit of switching on the TV when he comes home at night.
I don't mind being woken up once or twice in the middle of the night by my flatmate so long as she doesn't make a habit of it (= do it frequently).
a cocaine habit
- It's so hard to stop smoking when it's been a lifelong habit.
- Get into the habit of tuning your guitar every day before you practise.
- Picking your nose is a revolting habit.
- Members of the public were asked about their shopping habits.
- We've fallen into the habit of getting up late on Saturday mornings.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: