hardly adverb (ONLY JUST)
B1 only just; almost not:
I could hardly hear her at the back.
- It's so airless in here - I can hardly breathe.
- Hardly anyone turned up for the party.
- The instructions are printed so small I can hardly read them.
- "Where's Mikey?" "How should I know? He's hardly ever in the office these days."
- I hardly watch any television, apart from news and current affairs.
hardly adverb (CERTAINLY NOT)
B2 certainly not:
- It's a policy that was hardly calculated to win votes.
- Her worldly success can hardly be denied.
- I had hoped for a little more from the world's greatest tenor, whose performance was workmanlike but hardly inspired.
- He had a few tufts of hair on his chin, but you could hardly call it a beard.
- It's hardly not surprising (that) you're putting on weight, considering how much you're eating.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words