heronoun [ C ]uk /ˈhɪə.rəʊ/ us /ˈhɪr.oʊ/ plural heroes
hero noun [ C ] (PERSON)
a war hero
humorous Graham says he'll take my parents to the airport at four o'clock in the morning - what a hero!
› someone who you admire very much:
- James Bond was a hero of mine when I was a boy.
- Perseus was a legendary Greek hero.
- The movie centres around the amorous adventures of its handsome hero.
- During his acting career, he has played all Shakespeare's great tragic heroes.
- A statue was erected to glorify the country's national heroes.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words