hint noun (INDIRECT STATEMENT)
[ + that ] He's dropped (= given) several hints to the boss that he'll quit if he doesn't get a promotion.
Did she give you any hints about where she was going?
- He doesn't take hints very easily, but he'll catch on to what you're saying eventually.
- He hasn't announced his decision officially, but he's dropped several hints.
- Margaret dropped a hint that she'd like to come to the party.
- They dropped several hints that they were about to get married.
- You have to be blunt with him. He can't take a hint.
hint noun (ADVICE)
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words