illustrationnoun [C or U]uk /ˌɪl.əˈstreɪ.ʃən/ us /ˌɪl.əˈstreɪ.ʃən/
illustration noun [C or U] (PICTURE)
- The illustrations show monstrous beasts with bodies like bears and heads like tigers.
- You will be expected to assist the editor with the selection of illustrations for the book.
- Encyclopedias on CD-ROM include sound, illustrations and simple animations.
- The book contains 25 colour illustrations.
- The description was accompanied by a wonderful illustration.
illustration noun [C or U] (EXAMPLE)