independencenoun [ U ]uk /ˌɪn.dɪˈpen.dəns/ us /ˌɪn.dɪˈpen.dəns/
- Britain conceded independence to India in 1948.
- The country declared independence in 1952.
- Mexico gained its independence from Spain in l821.
- The country has been able to celebrate the return of its independence so brutally snuffed out in 1940.
- They were the only country to argue for even token recognition of the Baltic states' independence.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: