C1 having a lot of influence on someone or something:
- He has his own ways of beating the system, making sure that he has good relationships with influential people.
- He sat under the most influential teacher in his field.
- He was very influential in shaping the government's economic policy/strategy.
- Two influential senators have argued for the retention of the unpopular tax.
- He is regarded as one of the most influential film directors of his generation.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words