initialadjective [before noun]uk us /ɪˈnɪʃ.əl/
- The initial earthquake was followed by a series of aftershocks.
- The doctor has made an initial diagnosis, but there'll be an additional examination by a specialist.
- The project is only in the initial phase as yet, but it's looking quite promising.
- As the plot unfolds, you gradually realize that all your initial assumptions were wrong.
- The final technical report into the accident reinforces the findings of initial investigations.
initialnoun [C usually plural]uk us /ɪˈnɪʃ.əl/
- His initials were engraved on the back of his watch.
- Doesn't it cause problems, having the same initials as your father?
- She always includes her middle initial in her signature.
- There's an 'S. Smith' on the list, but you and Simon share the same initial, so I'm not sure who they mean.
- The author C. S. Lewis is better known by his initials than by his full name, Clive Staples Lewis.