instrumentnoun [ C ]uk /ˈɪn.strə.mənt/ us /ˈɪn.strə.mənt/
instrument noun [ C ] (MUSIC)
Which instrument do you play?
- When a piece of music is recorded, each instrument is recorded separately on a 24- or 48-track tape.
- If you want to learn to play a musical instrument, it might be a good idea to begin on something simple.
- This wooden instrument is the ancestor of the modern metal flute.
- The family all play instruments - they're all very musical.
- The trumpet and trombone are brass instruments.
instrument noun [ C ] (TOOL)
instruments of torture
the instrument panel
- The main instruments are in the centre of the control panel.
- The doctor used a sharp instrument to dig a piece of glass out of my finger.
- Lewis estimates that 40 to 80 percent of dentists actually autoclave their instruments as they should.
- The museum has a large collection of vicious medieval torture instruments.
- The instrument panel was brightly illuminated.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words