inviteverb [ T ]uk /ɪnˈvaɪt/ us /ɪnˈvaɪt/
invite verb [ T ] (ASK TO AN EVENT)
We're invited to Lola's party.
- They've invited 80 guests to the wedding.
- They were flattered to be invited to dinner by the mayor.
- They've invited us round for dinner on Saturday.
- She invited a lot of people to the party but half of them didn't turn up.
- All the mums and dads are invited to the school play at the end of the year.
invite verb [ T ] (REQUEST FORMALLY)
invite verb [ T ] (ENCOURAGE)
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words