islandnoun [ C ]uk /ˈaɪ.lənd/ us /ˈaɪ.lənd/
a desert island
a Pacific island
an island of peace, calm, sanity, etc.
› UK → traffic island
- These remote islands are inhabited only by birds and small animals.
- We stayed on one of the lesser-known Greek islands.
- I dream of living on a tropical island.
- The west of the island is famous for the irregularity of its coastline.
- He lives on an island off the coast of Scotland, but travels to the mainland once a month.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words