justifyverb [ T ]uk /ˈdʒʌs.tɪ.faɪ/ us /ˈdʒʌs.tə.faɪ/
B2 to give or to be a good reason for:
B2 If you justify yourself, you give a good reason for what you have done:
It was the only thing that I could do - I don't have to justify myself to anyone.
- How can you justify the employment of capital punishment?
- New evidence from a self-confessed liar was not enough to justify a retrial.
- Manufacturers need large sales to justify offering a big variety in export markets.
- We are duty bound to justify how we spend our funds.
- They haven't been given these rights for all eternity - they should justify having them just like most other people have to.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words