keep sb/sth from sth
— phrasal verb with keep uk /kiːp/ us /kiːp/ verb kept, kept
C2 to prevent someone or something from doing something:
- It would be better if we could keep the baby from falling asleep until we get home.
- I use this piece of wood to keep the door from blowing shut.
- Jack is doing everything he can to keep the business from failing.
- My husband always keeps me from getting too depressed about work.
- Wrapping bread and storing it in the fridge keeps it from going stale so quickly.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words