lateadjective, adverbuk /leɪt/ us /leɪt/
late adjective, adverb (NEAR THE END)
- From the late 19th century, European powers began to gain control of parts of the Ottoman Empire.
- House music first appeared in the late 1980s.
- Nowadays many women are in their late thirties when they have their first child.
- As it was getting late, I decided to book into a hotel.
- Newcastle seemed to be heading for disaster until a late goal saved the day.
late adjective, adverb (AFTER EXPECTED TIME)
late adjective, adverb (SPORTS)