law noun (RULE)
[ + -ing verb or + to infinitive ] Many doctors backed plans for a law banning/to ban all tobacco advertising.
a law firm in New York
go to law
- Many motorcyclists flout the law by not wearing helmets.
- The law forbids the sale of cigarettes to people under the age of 16.
- We're campaigning for a repeal of the abortion laws.
- The police want tougher laws for dealing with drug traffickers.
- The new law will outlaw smoking in public places.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words