lead to sth
— phrasal verb with lead uk /liːd/ us /liːd/ verb led, led uk /led/ us
- A diet that is high in fat can lead to obesity.
- The first chapter describes the strange sequence of events that lead to his death.
- The allegations, if true, could lead to her resignation.
- It is feared that the civil unrest we are now witnessing in this country could lead to full-scale civil war.
- Failure to keep the chemical at the right temperature could lead to an explosion.
- The long hot summer has led to serious water shortages.