leafnoun [ C ]uk /liːf/ us /liːf/ plural leaves
leaf noun [ C ] (PLANT)
a palm leaf
be in leaf/come into leaf
- The leaves on the trees have started to turn a rich coppery colour.
- Rubbing a dock leaf on nettle stings helps to relieve the pain.
- Notice that the leaf of this plant has ragged edges.
- Emily scraped away the dead leaves to reveal the tiny shoot of a new plant.
- The bush looked badly diseased, with black marks on all the leaves.
leaf noun [ C ] (PAPER)
leaf noun [ C ] (TABLE)
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words