maintainverb [ T ]uk /meɪnˈteɪn/ us /meɪnˈteɪn/
maintain verb [ T ] (CONTINUE TO HAVE)
We have standards to maintain.
- With an election approaching, the prime minister is keen to maintain his popularity.
- The Queen has maintained political neutrality throughout her reign.
- Security during the president's visit must be maintained at all costs.
- Several of the teachers were quite unable to maintain discipline.
- The United Nations has maintained a presence in the region for some time.
maintain verb [ T ] (KEEP IN GOOD CONDITION)
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words