majority noun (NUMBER)
In Britain women are in the/a majority.
- The majority of young professionals in the capital have moved there from provincial towns.
- In the past, the majority of women were consigned to a lifetime of servitude and poverty.
- The majority of people in the town strongly support the plans to build a by-pass.
- A couple of people objected to the proposal, but the vast majority approved of it.
- A large majority of the population is demanding the restoration of the former government.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words