materialnounuk /məˈtɪə.ri.əl/ us /-ˈtɪr.i-/
material noun (PHYSICAL SUBSTANCE)
- The meteorites contained only inorganic material.
- Clay is a very plastic material.
- Uranium is a radioactive material.
- The regular incorporation of organic material into garden soil improves its quality enormously.
- Prices of goods are governed by the cost of the raw materials, as well as by the cost of production and distribution.
material noun (INFORMATION)
- These documents contain classified material.
- The latest promotional material is all part of a recruitment drive.
- All our advertising material is designed in-house.
- I've listed some useful reading material on the handout.
- His latest book is a reworking of material from his previous short stories.
material noun (CLOTH)
material noun (EQUIPMENT)
materialadjectiveuk /məˈtɪə.ri.əl/ us /-ˈtɪr.i-/
material adjective (PHYSICAL)
material adjective (IMPORTANT)