material noun (PHYSICAL SUBSTANCE)
- The meteorites contained only inorganic material.
- Clay is a very plastic material.
- Uranium is a radioactive material.
- The regular incorporation of organic material into garden soil improves its quality enormously.
- Prices of goods are governed by the cost of the raw materials, as well as by the cost of production and distribution.
material noun (INFORMATION)
- These documents contain classified material.
- The latest promotional material is all part of a recruitment drive.
- All our advertising material is designed in-house.
- I've listed some useful reading material on the handout.
- His latest book is a reworking of material from his previous short stories.
material noun (CLOTH)
How much material will you need to make the skirt?
- A lot of sportswear is made of very elastic material.
- She dipped the material into the dye.
- It's a dark grey material but it's flecked with white.
- We could use the rest of the material to make up some curtains.
- I'm trying to match up this wallpaper with some suitable curtain material.
material noun (EQUIPMENT)
material adjective (PHYSICAL)
material adjective (IMPORTANT)
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words