meaning noun (OF WORD/WRITING/SIGN, ETC.)
- The meaning of a sentence often depends on stress and intonation.
- The literal meaning of 'television' is 'seeing from a distance'.
- It's sometimes very difficult to draw a clear distinction between the meanings of different words.
- Let's just say we had 'problems', if you get my meaning.
- The skull at the bottom of the picture has a symbolic meaning - it represents death.
meaning noun (IMPORTANCE)
- Philosophers have searched for millennia but they haven't found the meaning of life.
- Since I started this job, my life has had new meaning.
- The work must be productive, to give it some meaning.
- These youngsters cannot see the meaning in education.
- Wealth has no meaning for them.