measure verb (SIZE)
The area, measuring/which measures five kilometres by three kilometres, has been purchased by the army.
- The main bedroom measures 24 ft by 18 ft (24' x 18').
- Engine speed can be measured in revolutions per minute (rpm).
- The metre is the standard unit for measuring length in the SI system.
- Measure all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- This stick is used for measuring the amount of oil in the engine - do you see the marks on it?
measure verb (JUDGE)
measure noun (METHOD)
- The new tax would force companies to adopt energy-saving measures.
- These measures are designed to reduce pollution.
- Teachers claim such measures could unfairly disadvantage ethnic minorities.
- In the past 10 years, preventive measures have radically reduced levels of tooth decay in children.
- New measures have been introduced to try and ease traffic congestion in the city.
measure noun (SIZE)
weights and measures
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words