merelyadverbuk /ˈmɪə.li/ us /ˈmɪr-/
merely adverb (ONLY)
- The minister's speech had merely fogged the issue.
- He called the new building unoriginal and said that it merely aped the classical traditions.
- She didn't reply - she merely smiled that insinuating smile.
- Of his origins he said very little, merely mentioning in parenthesis that his background was poor.
- Patriarchy has not disappeared - it has merely changed form.
merely adverb (NOT LARGE/IMPORTANT)
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: