messnounuk us /mes/
mess noun (DIRT/UNTIDINESS)
- I hope something good can come out of this mess.
- I made a complete and utter mess of it!
- My Dad gets cross (with me) if I leave the kitchen in a mess.
- I wish you'd do something about your bedroom - it's a real mess.
- I gave Jim very clear instructions, but even then he managed to make a mess of it.
mess noun (PROBLEMS)
- a (heavy) cross to bear idiom
- a cloud on the horizon idiom
- a fate worse than death idiom
- a hard/tough row to hoe idiom
- a narrow squeak idiom
- feeding frenzy
- rub salt in/into the wound idiom
mess noun (ROOM)