microorganismnoun [ C ]uk /ˌmaɪ.krəʊˈɔː.ɡən.ɪ.zəm/ us /ˌmaɪ.kroʊˈɔːr.ɡən.ɪ.zəm/
Examples from literature
- Inside each tubeworm, there is a colony of these microorganisms.
- Many microorganisms live inside a tubeworm.
- Microorganisms near the vents take in the chemicals and change them to energy.
- The scientist was doing research on microorganisms.
- The tubeworms use the energy produced by the microorganisms as food.
- There are many questions about how the microorganisms got so high above the Earth, but one thing is certain: Life can make its home almost anywhere.
- When they studied the air, they found microorganisms living there, including three new kinds, or species, never seen before.