C1 [ U ] the need for something:
You can come early if you want to, but there's no necessity for it.
With a personal fortune of sixty million dollars, she certainly doesn't work out of necessity (= because she needs to).
- Eating is a biological necessity!
- I took the job out of necessity because we had no money left.
- With a courage born of necessity, she seized the gun and ran at him.
- I had a couple of months to spare between jobs so I thought I'd make a virtue of necessity by acquiring a few new skills.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
- a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do idiom
- be a question of doing sth idiom
- if/when push comes to shove idiom
- on a need-to-know basis idiom
- owe it to yourself idiom