nightmarenoun [ C ]uk /ˈnaɪt.meər/ us /ˈnaɪt.mer/
a terrifying nightmare
- LeFanu suffered all his life from a recurrent nightmare that he was trapped in a falling house.
- Strange dreams and nightmares oppressed him.
- Working there was like being trapped in a nightmare.
- I had a terrible nightmare last night.
- Nightmares may occur in times of severe tension.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
adverb uk /ˈnaɪt.meə.rɪʃ.li/ us /ˈnaɪt.mer.ɪʃ.li/