notionnoun [ C or U ]uk /ˈnəʊ.ʃən/ us /ˈnoʊ.ʃən/
[ + that ] The show's director rejects the notion that seeing violence on television has a harmful effect on children.
- He has some fanciful notion about converting one room of his apartment into a gallery.
- I don't think he has any notion of the seriousness of the situation.
- Dave's got some strange notion that you're only respectable if you own a piece of property.
- You must judge each film on its own merits, without any preconceived notions about what it's like.
- Whatever gave you that notion?
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words