[ + to infinitive ] If you have not signed a contract, you are under no obligation to (= it is not necessary to) pay them any money.
› [ C ] something that you must do:
- Beach operators do not have a legal obligation to provide against injury or drowning.
- One has an obligation to one's friends.
- It's her moral obligation to tell the police what she knows.
- Are you under a contractual obligation to any other company?
- You have a legal obligation to inform the police about the crash.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
- answer for sb/sth
- answer for sth
- answer to sb
- have sth on your hands idiom
- I am not my brother's keeper idiom
- in the hot seat idiom
- it's your own lookout idiom
- saddle sb with sth
- social contract
- stick sb with sth