occasionnoun [ C ]uk /əˈkeɪ.ʒən/ us /əˈkeɪ.ʒən/
The 200th anniversary of Mozart's death was the occasion for hundreds of special films, books and concerts.
- I'd like to thank everyone concerned for making the occasion run so smoothly.
- Is this an appropriate occasion to discuss finance?
- The funeral was a sombre occasion.
- As it was such a special occasion, she permitted herself a small glass of champagne.
- Her dress was too showy for such a formal occasion.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words