Their engagement is now official.
- Before buying a pram, make sure that it conforms to the official safety standards.
- The president's official visit marks the start of a more fraternal relationship between the two countries.
- The rebels regard the official parliament as illegitimate.
- Several eyewitnesses' accounts differed considerably from the official version of events.
- The remit of this official inquiry is to investigate the reasons for the accident.
officialnoun [ C ]uk /əˈfɪʃ.əl/ us /əˈfɪʃ.əl/
- The whole system was corrupt - every official she approached wanted money before helping her.
- An official from the Department of Health will be inspecting the restaurant this afternoon.
- The customs official beckoned the woman to his counter.
- The information was given by a Vatican official.
- Senior government officials will be attending a meeting tomorrow.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words