operationnounuk /ˌɒp.ərˈeɪ.ʃən/ us /ˌɑː.pəˈreɪ-/
operation noun (WORK)
- The rescue operation has been complicated by bad weather.
- We need to look at the logistics of the whole aid operation.
- They mounted a salvage operation after the fire.
- Starting your own business can be a risky operation.
- They're winding down their operations abroad because they're losing money.
operation noun (MEDICAL PROCESS)
- The hospital has a two-year waiting list for minor operations.
- The child's parents or guardians must give their consent before she has the operation.
- After the operation the wound became infected.
- The operation involves putting a small tube into your heart.
- The operation must be carried out under sterile conditions.