operatornoun [ C ]uk /ˈɒp.ər.eɪ.tər/ us /ˈɑː.pə.reɪ.t̬ɚ/
operator noun [ C ] (PERSON OR BUSINESS)
a smooth, clever, etc. operator
- We rationalized the production system so that one operator could control all three machines.
- The tour operator will arrange transport and plan your itinerary.
- Radar operators plotted the course of the incoming missile.
- At the twiddle of a knob the operators can focus on a tiny amount of airspace or scan the whole area.
- Beach operators do not have a legal obligation to provide against injury or drowning.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words